Good Day


Today was a good day.

If you have never been through a colonoscopy, then consider yourself lucky.  Brian just endured his third in less than a year, with an endoscopy for good measure.  Actually, the endoscopy was the more important of the two, but I digress.

My point is, prepping for this exam can be brutal for an adult.  As a tiny human, it is heartbreaking.  But, Brian is amazing.  He had one minor meltdown yesterday and for the rest of the time, drank his Miralax flavored Gatorade like a champ.  When he woke up in the early morning hours, I was able to wrap him in my arms and he fell back asleep.  At six in the morning, it was a different story.  We heard him ask for a “baba” for three hours straight.

Still, aside from being hungry, he handled the prep and before the procedure like a true superstar.

The doctors, nurses and staff were wonderful.  They talked me through every little thing they were doing and allowed me to hold Brian while they administered the gas to help him sleep.

Have you ever held a crying baby in your arms and when he/she finally quiets down you can feel the tiny body relax?  It is a comforting feeling.  This was nothing like that.

Brian was not happy about a mask being placed on his face, which meant I had to hold him tight against my chest with my hand behind his head, two nurses each held an arm, and the anesthesiologist held the back of my hand on his head and the mask.  At one point Brian tried to push off me with his knees.  When he finally went limp and stopped fighting, my heart broke.  I was able to kiss him and as I left the room I broke into tears.  No matter whether it is the first time or the third, it doesn’t get any easier.

Even though the overall procedure time did not take long, it felt like eternity.  Then suddenly my tiny little man was wheeled back into the room, and he looked like a perfect angel.  At the time he was on oxygen still, but the nurses and doctors assured me he had done great.


Just like with his two previous endoscopies/colonoscopies, the visual pictures appear normal and unremarkable.  Hopefully, we will have the results of the biopsies by early next week, and then we will know where to go from there.

The anesthesiologist was concerned with Brian’s blood sugar level, so he encouraged me to allow him to drink as much formula as he wanted.  Brian was sleeping for quite some time, so it took a little nudging on the doctor’s part to finally wake him up.


Naturally, after having not eaten for sixteen hours, Brian was eager to down bottle after bottle.  He consumed twelve, heavily concentrated ounces in a blink of an eye.  I was leery of giving him so much so fast, but the nurses reassured me.  The first blood sugar reading was low, but forty-five minutes later it increased significantly and we were allowed to leave.


Brian did all right going from the hospital to the car, but once we hit the street, we were met with heavy traffic and rain.  The stop and go did not seem to agree with Brian’s fragile system, and as I was unbuckling him from his carseat, he returned all twelve ounces of formula and then some to me.

I am so grateful I did not have to handle the aftermath alone, and thanks to my best friend’s help, we were able to wash the carseat, put Brian in the tub, throw all the clothes into the washing machine and focus on a way to clean the inside of the car.

Sadly, due to the rain, there was not a single carwash available near by to assist in the matter, which meant I had to scrub the seats and floor mat myself.  Hopefully I did a good job and the smell of formula will not linger.

After emptying his stomach and taking a bath, Brian was ready to go.  He has been able to drink multiple bottles since then and is bouncing around like a normal two year old.  Overall, I am thrilled with the experience.

In hindsight, it probably was a bad idea to give Brian so much formula at once, but other than that, the entire event went off easily and without issue.  Brian woke up just fine, his heart and lungs did great, and there wasn’t a violent reaction.  Considering how the last two ended, I would call this a success.

Until we hear more from the doctor, we will continue with a formula and water only diet and monitor how he does.  Regardless of the final outcome, today proved that traveling across the country to one of the best children’s hospital definitely was worth it.


Side Note:  Thank you to everyone for the messages, kind thoughts and prayers.  I hope you all know how much you are appreciated.


3 thoughts on “Good Day

  1. Erin,
    So glad to hear all went well. Don’t ever doubt that you have done the right thing for Brian by going to CHOP. I know it’s been hard but you are in good hands. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Betsy

    Liked by 1 person

  2. Erin, you are so amazing! The detail that you can describe the events that Brian has to endure are amazing! What a sweet boy! I can’t wait to see you guys again when all of this is settled. I have you in my prayers Erin, you, Brian, and all of your family. We love you and are rooting for you honey!

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s